Monday, January 21, 2013

Preparing a Birth Plan: Details & Discussion

When we last left of, I had seen my doctor and we had discussed a VBAC. This time we wanted to go through some details and see both our options and the doctor's reaction to my preferred plan. I used the Baby Center birth plan worksheet to mark my general preferences and used that as a jumping off point for our discussion. Approximate answers in italics.

  • As long as the baby and I are doing fine, I'd like to have intermittent rather than continuous electronic fetal monitoring. Does the hospital here have wireless telemetry? No
  • I'd also like to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits, to avoid an IV and artificial enhancement of labor. Of course
  • During labor, I'd like to try varying positions: Sure
  • Is there an option of using a birthing pool/tub? This is supposedly unsanitary? Doc says no.
  • Please don't offer me pain medication. Um, ok
  • When it's time to push, I'd like to do so instinctively and be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits as long as my baby and I are doing fine: We'll see
  • During delivery, I'd like to give birth without an episiotomy. (didn't to mention this one)
  • After birth, I'd like to hold my baby right away, putting off any procedures that aren't urgent, to breastfeed as soon as possible. No problem
  • I'd prefer not to get oxytocin (Pitocin) after I deliver the placenta unless it's necessary, to wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before it's clamped and cut and my partner to cut the umbilical cord. (didn't get into these either really)
  • If I have a c-section, I'd like to warm baby skin to skin (no incubator), if not by me than by my partner, and to breastfeed my baby in the recovery room. We'll see.
  • What do you think about if we hired a doula? They don't do much but whatever floats your boat.

All in all the discussion made the doctor quite uncomfortable and slightly defensive. I am probably not the best judge as the whole discussion was very emotional for me but we definitely came to the realization that I should probably look into another care provider. While he may be able to attend my natural birth, we are probably looking at an uphill battle if we stick with him. It was time to explore our options.

No comments:

Post a Comment